Thursday, December 1, 2011

On Why Johnny Can’t Search (with shout-outs to Francey & Buffy!)

Joyce Valenza is one of my library heroes.  She knows everything and shares with everyone!  Her blog posting from November 6 was entitled On Why Johnny Can’t Search (with shout-outs to Francey & Buffy!) .  She talks about an article in Wired magazine about students and their lack of search skills.  She points out the areas where the librarians get some love for their work in teaching kids how to search.

Every librarian I know wants to teach kids search strategies.  Watching them struggle to find information is painful at best.  But in my experience, kids don't always want to take the time to learn searching.  They are so accustomed to clicking and finding something, the idea of having to search for something bothers them. 

I wish I knew the magic formula to help kids.  They have to want to know the best way to search and until that time comes, I'm not sure anything we say can help them.

No comments:

Post a Comment