Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Long term impact of reading to children

I saw this article from BBC--"Reading to children has long impact"-- and my first reaction was "duh....."  But then I stopped to consider maybe everyone wasn't as atuned to reading problems and difficulties as I am.  I see this every day.

The article talks about when parents or caregivers read to children early on, the impact lasts well into the teen years,  The difference can be reading levels as much as 6 months ahead  for those who had been read to.  And the parental involvement in reading overrode other social difficulties that could be present.  That fact alone speaks volumes.

I know it's hard to find time and energy to read and read again.  I was a single mom when my daughter was young and I can tell you some nights it took all I had just to read a few stories.  But I did it.  The house was a disaster and papers needed to be graded, but my daughter was my priority.  I don't want to sound like I was a saint.  Not at all.  But I did try to make reading a fun, special Mommy/ daughter time.  And now I have proof those exhausting nights of "just one more story, Mommy" were worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment