Wednesday, November 9, 2011

LibGuides growing

I saw a great article on the forum for Springshare, parent company for LibGuides.  At this point in time over 200,000 LibGuides have been created with more than 1.3 million pages of content.  I've talked about LibGuides before, but these statistics just reinforce my love for the site.  This many librarians can't be wrong!

In this day and age of Internet access to information, librarians need to be able to help kids and adult patrons find the kind of information needed to solve reference issues.  I know I've seen a huge upward swing in the use of our databases since I've been using LibGuides.  And in this time of budget issues, the more I can prove a site is being used, the more likely I'll have the money to keep using it. 

And for those times when I don't have a database site handy, I can search the Springshare site for suggested resources from other campuses.  I have an IB Spanish class that has a unit on Chicano artists.  I really don't have the specialized resources for this type of assignment.  But a few minutes on Springshare enabled me to put together a detailed, professional website for the project.  Teacher was happy; kids were happy and I was happy.  Win/ Win all the way around!

Thank you LibGuides--here's to more continued success.  And I'll keep doing my part to get you to 300,000 guides!  :)

2 comments:

  1. Juliette Reale, MLISJanuary 3, 2012 at 10:18 AM

    Awesome, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! Do you use Libguides? They have been a lifesaver for me! Love them!!

    ReplyDelete