Thursday, October 27, 2011

I'm writing a novel....

Okay there I've said it out loud--I'm writing a novel.  Just starting actually....but I'm trying to write a YA novel.  My goal is to write a series that appeals to kids but won't make librarians nervous to put it on the shelf due to language or content.  Not sure I can pull this off but I'm going to try. 

I'm always nervous about telling people I'm writing something--I don't want to be one of those folks who says, "I'm an author" but haven't published a thing....or have self published something because no company would pick it up.  That, to me, isn't a real author.

I have been published before--my reviews for SLJ still give me a thrill everytime I see one in print.  And I never will forget when my principal came into surprise me with the publication of my first journal article--he had seen it in the journal and interrupted my class to tell me.  I didn't even know it had been accepted, and I was so excited!!! 

But writing a book is a scary proposition.  Just about anyone thinks they can write a book.  Some can; some can't.  I've seen some pretty poor ones over the years.  And I think how did they get a publishing contract???  And then I think, if they can, so can I. 

I once read a quote--I can't even remember who said it--that writing is easy; you just sit at the typewriter (well, computer these days...) and bleed.  And that's so true.  I know when I've written something good because it flows out of me like blood on the page.  And I know when I'm not thrilled with something because it's like pulling teeth to get the words out.  And that's a good scenario to share with our students, I think.  They need to know that even professionals have to think, plan, struggle and work to get a piece of writing done "right."

So now that I've taken the first step and said the words out loud, I need to get busy.  Once I have a substantial start to my book, I'll post it here so I can get some feedback.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment